I thought I would always be the mother who could proudly announce “My children LOVE broccoli, peas, anything green… they scarf it down!”
Well if that was my only goal for motherhood. I FAILED.
Good thing it wasn’t. I try to give my children wholesome options but if all they want is cheese sticks, cheese slices, and grated cheese for dinner… as long as they will eat they can have it! As long as something besides candy and cookies get into their systems I am feeling proud.
Now, for myself, I feel so much better when I get in veggies and protein at every meal. Gold fish and apple sauce just don’t do it for me anymore. So I have been on the look out for fast, easy, simple, and healthy meals… that taste AMAZING of course.
Well I saw a picture on pinterest of lentil sausage soup and thought I would give it a try. I don’t follow recipes very well though so I didn’t even click on the pin. I just decided I would make this up as I went.
And ya know… it turned out pretty dang good! The body felt good after a bowl of the stuff, the daughter ate a few bites and the husband had seconds! It was an all-around win!
So here is what I did!
Grab yourself the following ingredients:
1 TBS olive oil
1 large onion (diced small)
1 TBS minced garlic
2 carrot sticks (peeled)
2 celery stalks
2 can chicken broth
3 cups spinach
2 cups lentils
1 12 oz package sausage (The al fresco roasted garlic chicken sausage was wonderful!)
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium
- Add onion and saute for 3 minutes
- Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes
- Finely dice carrots and celery (I used my food processor), add to pot and cook an additonal 3 minutes
- Add chicken broth and lentils, bring to boil
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 23 minutes
- Cut sausage into 1/2 inch slices
- Mix in cut sausage and spinach
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Serve warm!